My son and I have had the privilege of photographing several National Parks. Our photographs were possible because others were willing to share their knowledge with us through books, magazines, and podcasts. It is now time for us to return the favor. We hope the information we provide about our equipment and techniques will help improve your photographic skills. If this is your first visit, please start reading from the bottom of the page. Happy shooting!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tidal Wave

I must admit as a photographer I have a few pet peeves. Probably the one at the top of the list is a horizon that is not level. I’ve seen sunrise and sunset photographs of the ocean and the horizon was tilted. I wonder what keeps the ocean from sloshing around and sending a huge tidal wave to South America or Nova Scotia.
I know the situation can easily be corrected in Photoshop but doing so will result in pixels being deleted when the images are re-cropped. There is a nifty little gadget available that will help, the two-axis bubble level. Just slide the level into the hot shoe adapter and line up the bubbles using your tripod head adjustments. It will work in both the landscape and portrait modes. Give one a try and save those precious pixels from the crop tool.