My son and I have had the privilege of photographing several National Parks. Our photographs were possible because others were willing to share their knowledge with us through books, magazines, and podcasts. It is now time for us to return the favor. We hope the information we provide about our equipment and techniques will help improve your photographic skills. If this is your first visit, please start reading from the bottom of the page. Happy shooting!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Name that image

I remember owning an Olympus point-n-shoot that saved my images using the date as a prefix. This way no two images would ever have the same file name. For some reason, Canon chose not to do it that way. After shooting several thousand photographs, with multiple cameras, I found images that started having the same file name and it was easy to overwrite or delete an image not knowing they were different. So I took the lesson I learned from Olympus and applied it to the images shot with my Canon gear. I use a program that renumbers my images using the following format (year, month, day, hour, minute, and second plus original image name). It gets the date information automatically from the EXIF data. This way I'll never have two images with the same file name. So simple but yet so profound.