My son and I have had the privilege of photographing several National Parks. Our photographs were possible because others were willing to share their knowledge with us through books, magazines, and podcasts. It is now time for us to return the favor. We hope the information we provide about our equipment and techniques will help improve your photographic skills. If this is your first visit, please start reading from the bottom of the page. Happy shooting!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Far Far Away...

I recently returned from a vacation trip to Florida with my wife. During our stay on Sanibel Island I decided to take a stab at bird photography. I brought along a 70-200 mm lens with a 1.4x tele-converter giving me a maximum focal length of 280 mm. I knew that length was marginal for bird photography but I gave it a try. When I returned home and viewed the images, I was disappointed how small many of the birds were in the frame. Now I know why wildlife photographers have those 500 to 800 mm lenses in their collection. I would like one of those long lenses but the cost is prohibitive so I take what I can get with what I’ve got and leave the rest for the pros.